Sports & School Physicals in Vernon Hills, IL
Pediatricians in Lindenhurst, Lake Bluff, and Vernon Hills
Scheduling your child’s physical is the best way to take a proactive approach to their health. During a physical, our pediatricians at Lake Forest Pediatric Associates have the opportunity to monitor your child’s growth and development over the years. By staying up-to-date with your child’s physicals, you’ll be able to keep up with their vaccinations during their younger years, and can oversee any problematic health issues as they get older. Our practice provides physicals for an assortment of reasons, whether it’s the start of the new school year, or they’re prepping for the upcoming sports season.
The team of caring pediatricians at Lake Forest Pediatric Associates are all board-certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and have years of experience performing school, camp, and sports physicals for children of all ages. We take the time and care necessary to make your child as comfortable as possible. If your child needs a physical examination, contact Lake Forest Pediatric Associates today to schedule an appointment. Give us a call at (847) 295-1220 or request an appointment at one of our three Chicagoland offices through our secure online form. With locations in Lake Bluff, Lindenhurst, and Vernon Hills, there is bound to be an office near you! We perform physicals for patients from Vernon Hills, North Chicago, Lake Forest, Knollwood, Libertyville, Lake Bluff, Lindenhurst, and the surrounding areas.
During a school physical, your child’s pediatrician will have an opportunity to examine year-over-year changes and progress. The younger years are more heavily focused on developmental progress and vaccinations, while adolescent years tend to be more focused on psychological and physical changes. This exam for teens gives them a chance to ask any questions relating to adolescent issues such as drinking, smoking, drugs, sexual activity, and depression.
Sports physicals are largely required by athletic leagues and schools. During this exam, the pediatrician will check your child’s vitals, joints, flexibility, and vision. This gives them an opportunity to flag down any issues that may cause injury during the season. Sports physicals should be given at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the upcoming sports season, giving the child ample time to correct any issues before the season. While a sports physical and an annual school physical have a lot in common, the sports physical does not include evaluation of the overall health of your child. Therefore, a sports physical should not replace a school physical.
Also commonly referred to as a pre-participation physical, a camp physical ensures that your child can safely participate in activities. A physical may not always be required prior to your child going off to camp, but it’s still a great way to stay on top of their health. Please note that a camp physical should not replace a school physical.
How Often Does My Child Need a Physical Exam?
- For Infants (less than 1-year-old): We see all infants at 2 weeks, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months and 1 year. Please refer to our Immunization Schedule for more information.
- For Toddlers (1-3 years old): Your toddler needs a physical at 18 months, 2 years and 3 years old. Please refer to our Immunization Schedule for more information.
- For Preschool Age Children (4-5 years old): All children need to have their 4/5 year old vaccines before starting kindergarten. Before starting 1st grade, most schools require the child’s first official physical exam.
- For School Age Children (6-11 years old): After starting school, your child should continue to receive a physical every year.
- For Teenagers (12-17 years old): Whether your teenager is participating or not participating in school sports, he/she will still need a physical every year.
- For Young Adults and College Students (18-22 years old): Yearly checkups are vital to your continued health.
Schedule Your Child’s Physical Today
If your child is in need of a physical exam, contact Lake Forest Pediatric Associates today to schedule an appointment. The pediatricians with Lake Forest Pediatric Associates are all board-certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and have years of experience with school physicals. Lake Forest Pediatric Associates are open 365 days a year – with medical professionals on call 24 hours a day – to provide the all-around care that your family deserves. With locations in Lake Bluff, Lindenhurst, or Vernon Hills, there is bound to be an office near you!